Monday, May 11, 2009

Wooded Wonders by Heidi Lewis

"Wooded Wonders"

The golden treetops sprayed light
all over the forest.
I was wearing my pink and purple bathing suit,
the one that I bring everywhere,
mismatched and stained but always my favorite.
My warm body was softly sunned
to the earth's surface as I relaxed
in my own wooded world,
a world that should never change.

My fingers harped the river's green weeds,
careful to not disturb its stagnant
but beautiful blue body.
These feelings of
peacefulness and sublimity embody
every possible part of me,
and I never want to leave it.

As a duet of mating dragonflies painted
blue and purple work upon my knee,
I listen to the rhythmic sounds of the
mysterious enchanted forest,
and the many animals it nourishes.

I didn't know what time it was
and I never cared.
My ankles cracked the river's liquid glass.
It was time to go back to the life
where we are forced to do the things we do.

(May 3rd, 2009; on Rio Celeste)

No comments:

Post a Comment